Re: 100% used / file system. Doh!

On 9/20/2011 4:00 PM, Bob Proulx wrote:
Lisi wrote:
Have just realised that I can't do this yet because I haven't yet solved the
problem of installing it!!

I am not sure how important this particular program is but I think it
will help.

<snip>

Following this tangent is taking Lisi further away from a solution, not closer to it, and simply wasting her time.

With all due respect to my colleagues who have responded, it seems you've all given her your pet favorite ways of dealing with this type of problem, instead of giving her short concise instructions on how to identify and then fix the actual problem.

To this point we still don't know what the problem actually is. You have (unless I missed a post) all assumed she's out of disk space. She could very well be out of inodes. She needs to determine that BEFORE attempting a fix, and before laboriously trying to hunt down files that are apparently filling the filesystem, when that may not be the problem at all.

To use an applicable old carpentry meme, "Measure twice, cut once."

--
Stan