Re: CD reader doesn't read audio CDs

On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 17:17:19 -0400, Scurz wrote:

> On 18/09/11 05:24 AM, Camaleón wrote:
>> On Sat, 17 Sep 2011 13:03:05 -0400, Scurz wrote:
>>
>>> I've done all the researches I could to find a solution but the CD/DVD
>>> reader doesn't read my audio CDs (but it reads data CDs) since a
>>> while...
>> By googling around I've found some reports (even a bug¹ for Debian) for
>> similar issues but what worries me is this line:
>>
>>> So, I get this kind of errors :
>>>
>>>    sr 0:0:0:0: [sr0]  Sense Key : Hardware Error [current]
>> (...)
>>
>> Have you tried to connect another CD/DVD player? I mean, another
>> device, just to discard you're facing a hardware problem.
>>
>> ¹http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=583949
>>

> Thank you for your answer.
>
> There's no issue in the bug report. They say "if you get this problem,
> open a new report". I'm gonna do it.

Yep, that's a good idea.

> Unfortunately, I have no other cd/dvd player to try and this problem is
> on a laptop.

Rremember that you can always borrow one and attach it to an external USB
case.

> Thank you and I'll let you know if I manage to fix the errors with my
> bug report.
>
> If somebody else or you have any ideas to update a package or a
> configuration file, let me know! Because I think I have tried
> everything.

You can try to load the CD-A using another application or test it with
another kernel version but that kind of "random" errors (you can read
data CDs but not CD-A) are not easy to debug.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón