Re: kernel param : why acpi=off breaks screen resolution ?

On Sun, 18 Sep 2011 21:55:22 +0200, Bruno Costacurta wrote:

> on my laptop Acer (model 4750) I have to pass kernel parameter acpi=off
> to be able to setup screen brightness via the Fn key. However the screen
> resolution is then downgrade (to 1024/640 from 1366/768).
>
> Why ?

Because you have turned off the whole acpi stack and your vga -or
drivers- may need it to be properly detected and setup.

> Which solution should I try ?

I would try with another set of graphic drivers: if now you're using
nouveau, try with nvidia (or viceversa).

> Note:
> I'm using latest Squeeze 6.0.2.1.
> I tried same thing with Ubuntu 11.04 : it works perfectly as FN keys
> works without any loss of screen resolution.

Then you can compare the packages that you have in both, Ubuntu and
Squeeze, and look for the differences.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón