Re: X and no Keyboard (debian Squeeze)

On Sat, 17 Sep 2011 17:29:57 +0200, Julien Claassen wrote:

> Hello Camaleon!
>    I mean, the moment X starts, the keyboard doesn't respond at all. the
> keyboard as such is nicely connected and everything.
>    Here's the output from the filtered package list:
> # dpkg -l | grep xserver-xorg-input
> ii  xserver-xorg-input-evdev             1:2.3.2-6
>   X.Org X server -- evdev input driver ii  xserver-xorg-input-kbd
>        1:1.4.0-2                         X.Org X server -- keyboard
> input driver
>
>    Doesn't look like much, but keyboard is there. Should there be a
>    mouse input
> driver to make it work?

That should be fine, I guess.

>    Another thing, at one point there was something in the Xorg.0.log
>    about
> reconfiguring udev to not automatically create some things. Could that
> be something valuable?
> ***
> (II) The server relies on udev to provide the list of input devices. If
> no devices become available, reconfigure udev or disable AutoAddDevices.
> ***

Ah, good catch. Although I also get that message this can be worth a try
:-)

But how to disable "AutoDevices"? I think that's a Xorg setting, let me
google for that...

Hum, found this tip¹, while it's for wheezy it can be also valid for
squeeze): it seems you have to put this stanza in your "/etc/X11/
xorg.conf" file (create that file if it is not there).

Section "ServerFlags"
    Option "AutoAddDevices" "False"
EndSection

But I'm afraid you will a keyboard to do that O:-). Can you grab a USB
keyboard and attach it to the computer? Another option can be accessing
to the machine via ssh and run the commands from a remote computer.

¹http://serverfault.com/questions/307600/keyboard-dont-work-after-upgrade-to-debian-wheezy

Greetings,

--
Camaleón