Re: Logitech K360 keyboard NumLock behavior gets turned on by Shift keys! [SOLVED]

On 09/16/2011 03:02 PM, Camaleón wrote:
On Fri, 16 Sep 2011 13:24:01 -0400, Gilbert Sullivan wrote:

On 09/16/2011 12:52 PM, Camaleón wrote:
Hum... I've been reading the file that is present in GNOME
("/etc/X11/xkb/ base.xml") and I think the variable you need to set in
"/etc/default/ keyboard" could be "XKBOPTIONS=numpad:microsoft"
(applying this this may require a reboot) that way this will become a
system-wide setting regardless the DE :-?

Oh, come on, Camaleón! You've just spoiled my plans to waste a weekend
playing with xev and a ~/.Xmodmap file! I was going to remap all of the
keycodes for Shift-<numeric-key>  combinations so that they always gave
the directional results instead of numbers. (I know this would likely
have led to some undesireable results. I was going to play with it until
I had to admit defeat or until my family whacked me up the side of the
head.)

Now you can relax, take a cold beer and watch on your HDTV the full saga
(extended version) of The Lord Of The Rings with no distractions :-P

How did you know I was a couch potato? (I guess I give off the "vibe".) Actually, we'll probably be watching Bramwell all weekend. We just started watching it on Netflix this week and absolutely love it.

But, knowing this family, if I mention Lord of the Rings there will at least be a debate. We're also suckers for Firefly and anything from Gilbert and Sullivan (purely coincidence re the name). Talk about eclectic tastes!

Following your earlier hints I had already asked my Ubuntu / Gnome buddy
(one of those BOFH types) if I could look at his system to see
/etc/X11/xkb/base.xml (which doesn't exist on my system) with his
NumLock behavior set to mimic Windows. He was giving me grief for asking
him to sully his system with this setting. I may have stepped on his
toes a little when I muttered something about it being pretty hard to
"sully" an Ubuntu system. He said that he'd show me the file in a while,
and then he left work for the weekend! (He'll claim on Monday that he
forgot.)

Now what am I going to do with my weekend? Thanks to you I am now typing
this from a properly-behaved (for my purposes) keyboard.

All I had to do was to change the line

XKBOPTIONS=""

XKBOPTIONS="numpad:microsoft"

in /etc/default/keyboard and then reboot.

You're a living doll!

Was just that!? He, he... great! :-)

I'm afraid you will also have to thanks Google's smart algorithms. Heck,
I made a simple search for "xmodmap+numpad:microsoft" (you were insisting
in xmodmap so much...) and one of the results lead me to that setting
but, to be sincere, I wasn't sure if that was going to work O:-)

Of course I was insisting on xmodmap. I don't usually do things the easy way. Why would I try to find something as elegant and simple as your solution when I could remap dozens of key combinations -- just to accomplish one little thing. You coming up with the XKBOPTIONS="numpad:microsoft" element has saved me a lot of trouble.

Again, my heartfelt thanks, and my admiration for all that you do here.

Best regards,
Gilbert