Re: Logitech K360 keyboard NumLock behavior gets turned on by Shift keys! [SOLVED]

On Fri, 16 Sep 2011 13:24:01 -0400, Gilbert Sullivan wrote:

> On 09/16/2011 12:52 PM, Camaleón wrote:
>> Hum... I've been reading the file that is present in GNOME
>> ("/etc/X11/xkb/ base.xml") and I think the variable you need to set in
>> "/etc/default/ keyboard" could be "XKBOPTIONS=numpad:microsoft"
>> (applying this this may require a reboot) that way this will become a
>> system-wide setting regardless the DE :-?
>
> Oh, come on, Camaleón! You've just spoiled my plans to waste a weekend
> playing with xev and a ~/.Xmodmap file! I was going to remap all of the
> keycodes for Shift-<numeric-key> combinations so that they always gave
> the directional results instead of numbers. (I know this would likely
> have led to some undesireable results. I was going to play with it until
> I had to admit defeat or until my family whacked me up the side of the
> head.)

Now you can relax, take a cold beer and watch on your HDTV the full saga
(extended version) of The Lord Of The Rings with no distractions :-P

> Following your earlier hints I had already asked my Ubuntu / Gnome buddy
> (one of those BOFH types) if I could look at his system to see
> /etc/X11/xkb/base.xml (which doesn't exist on my system) with his
> NumLock behavior set to mimic Windows. He was giving me grief for asking
> him to sully his system with this setting. I may have stepped on his
> toes a little when I muttered something about it being pretty hard to
> "sully" an Ubuntu system. He said that he'd show me the file in a while,
> and then he left work for the weekend! (He'll claim on Monday that he
> forgot.)
>
> Now what am I going to do with my weekend? Thanks to you I am now typing
> this from a properly-behaved (for my purposes) keyboard.
>
> All I had to do was to change the line
>
> XKBOPTIONS=""

> XKBOPTIONS="numpad:microsoft"
>
> in /etc/default/keyboard and then reboot.
>
> You're a living doll!

Was just that!? He, he... great! :-)

I'm afraid you will also have to thanks Google's smart algorithms. Heck,
I made a simple search for "xmodmap+numpad:microsoft" (you were insisting
in xmodmap so much...) and one of the results lead me to that setting
but, to be sincere, I wasn't sure if that was going to work O:-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón