Re: Debian Policy questions

On Vi, 16 sep 11, 00:48:25, Ivan Shmakov wrote:

> 	I wonder if there should be a separate mailing list to Cc: such
> 	bug reports.  (debian-dependency-inquisitors@, perhaps?)

I don't think dependencies need any special handling compared to other
bug reports. In cases where you don't agree with the resolution you can
discuss the issue - together with the maintainer - on debian-devel.

> 	I seem to remember that there was a longstanding issue with
> 	Depends: logrotate.  Of course, no package should ever be
> 	“rendered unusable” (which, AIUI, is the very essense of
> 	Depends:) should logrotate not be installed!  Yet, there seem to
> 	be something like 45 packages that Depends: on it as per Debian
> 	Wheezy.

Could you provide concrete examples? I assume packages not logging to
syslog do need some rotation of their logs, otherwise they could render
systems unusable by filling up the drive.

Regards,
Andrei