Re: Still can't install wheezy on a 2011 iMac

On 16/09/11 15:56, Mike Hore wrote:
> Hi again --
>
> Hmm... no replies.  I take it then that NOBODY is running Debian on one
> of this year's iMacs??  Maybe I should just go away and try again in a
> few months?
>
> Cheers,  Mike.

I don't run a Mac - or I'd have posted earlier, but... it appears that
other people do - including the wiki page author Kereoz (Christophe Hauser).

NOTE: "latest" Mac and "aluminium iMac Intel 12,1" doesn't mean anything
to me... so apologies if you've already looked at these and/or they're
not relevant.

http://charles.plessy.org/Debian/debi%C3%A2neries/iMac/ [*1]
http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/debian/dists/wheezy/
I have no idea how authoritive this writer is:-
http://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/2929.html
(I've certainly seen Debian running on a very recent hi-end Mac laptop
earlier this year - so it is possible).

and of course Kereoz's MacIntel kernel page (seems it hasn't been
updated in a few years):-
http://kereoz.alwaysdata.net/index.php?page=kernel

You could also try the macintel developers list:-
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/mactel-linux-devel
or their archives:-
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?forum_name=mactel-linux-devel

And Arch might provide some useful tips:-

>> Hi all,
>>
>> It's been a few weeks now, so I'm wondering if there's been any progress
>> on this. I think the relevant bugs are #637284 and 627705 - neither have
>> had any activity during these few weeks. Is everybody on holidays??
>>
>> -- Mike.
>>
>>> Hi again,
>>>
>>> I was directed to the wiki:
>>>
>>> http://wiki.debian.org/iMacIntel
>>>
>>> Apparently this section has been updated:
>>>
>>> Update (2011/08/12) : aluminium iMac Intel 12,1 / Wheezy , see the
>>> "video" section.
>>>
>>> However this didn't work for me. Even applying the radeon.modeset=0 line
>>> in the boot parameters just leads to a blank screen with a flashing
>>> cursor at the top.

Have you tried disabling frame buffer mode?

>>> Booting into rescue mode gives me a root shell, and I
>>> applied the suggested updates to /etc/apt/sources.list, but aptitude
>>> update failed with messages saying the server locations couldn't be
>>> resolved. I tried a ping to the actual IP address, but got the message
>>> "Network unreachable".

http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/debian/dists/wheezy/
is definitely there, and responding - that *is* the address referenced
by the /etc/apt/sources.list entry of:-
deb http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/debian wheezy main contrib non-free

ie. the following *won't* work:-
ping http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/debian
(because there's no such URL)

>>> So I'm still stuck. I think this could possibly be bug # 627705, lack of
>>> kernel support for the Broadcom ethernet card. But I'm not sure. My
>>> installer was a weekly build from a few weeks ago -- should I try a
>>> later build? I don't want to take the time if I'm just going to end up
>>> in the same place.

Can't you manually download the packages from another machine?

>>> Cheers, Mike.

>>> Mike Hore mike_hore@aapt.net.au

Cheers

[*1]
http://source.charles-plessy-org.branchable.com/?p=source.git;a=history;f=Debian/debi%C3%A2neries/iMac.en.po;hb=HEAD

--
"I ascribe to Mark Twain's theory that the last person who should be
President is the one who wants it the most. The one who should be picked