Re: Debian Policy questions

 > Old thread, but still...

 >> Absolutely! Easy to find examples with apt-cache rdepends dbus. I
 >> would posit that nearly all packages that depend on DBUS should
 >> actually depend on libdbus{,-c++,-java,-ruby}. Do these packages
 >> (such as rhythmbox) fail to work if DBUS isn't running? No.. the
 >> calls are never calls required for running, only for nifty extra
 >> features like telling your systray what song you're listening to.

 > [snip more explanations]

 > As far as I can tell from my limited experience you are right. I
 > would suggest you file bugs in the BTS as you find such
 > occurrences. Of course it helps a lot if you also provide patches and
 > maybe also raise the severity a bit. 'wishlist' is very polite, but
 > 'minor' or even higher might be apropiate in some cases.

 > If you don't receive any reply you could investigate whether the
 > package is unmaintained and take action accordingly.

	I wonder if there should be a separate mailing list to Cc: such
	bug reports.  (debian-dependency-inquisitors@, perhaps?)

	I seem to remember that there was a longstanding issue with
	Depends: logrotate.  Of course, no package should ever be
	“rendered unusable” (which, AIUI, is the very essense of
	Depends:) should logrotate not be installed!  Yet, there seem to
	be something like 45 packages that Depends: on it as per Debian
	Wheezy.

--
FSF associate member #7257	2 days left to Software Freedom Day
http://sf-day.org/	Event at Altai State University: http://sfd.am-1.org/