Re: Debian Policy questions

Old thread, but still...

On Lu, 11 iul 11, 14:51:48, William Hopkins wrote:

> Absolutely! Easy to find examples with apt-cache rdepends dbus. I would posit
> that nearly all packages that depend on DBUS should actually depend on
> libdbus{,-c++,-java,-ruby}. Do these packages (such as rhythmbox) fail to work
> if DBUS isn't running? No.. the calls are never calls required for running,
> only for nifty extra features like telling your systray what song you're
> listening to.

[snip more explanations]

As far as I can tell from my limited experience you are right. I would
suggest you file bugs in the BTS as you find such occurrences. Of course
it helps a lot if you also provide patches and maybe also raise the
severity a bit. 'wishlist' is very polite, but 'minor' or even higher
might be apropiate in some cases.

If you don't receive any reply you could investigate whether the package
is unmaintained and take action accordingly.

Regards,
Andrei