Re: Hard drive bad sector warning

On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 13:17:14 +1000, yudi v wrote:

> Got a reply back from WD asking me to return the drive, I wiped the
> drive and tested the drive to see if it will throw up errors.
>
> Again, both the WD tool and the Debian disk utility do not report any
> bad sectors.
>
> Can anyone explain what's going on?

Modern hard disk firmwares have the logic inside to automatically remap
and hide bad sectors that have been discovered and mark them to be
avoided in future read/write operations.

I would not bother about this. Just let WD technicians analyze the disk
and provide you with a new one.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón