Re: Free drivers for AMD Radeon (Vaio S)

On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 19:05:06 -0400, Dan wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 6:43 AM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

(...)

>>> Has anybody a good experience with switchable graphic cards?
>>
>> I can't tell for this, sorry ;-(
>>

> Hi,
>
> I went to the shop and tested a live ubuntu CD and it worked! The
> wireless, sound and graphic card worked. The switch was in Stamina
> (Intel graphic card) The fancy 3D effects of Unity worked pretty well,
> that is enough for me as I use bare gnome. I did lspci and I can see
> both cards the Intel and the AMD.

Careful, sir. One thing is that embedded intel's card works -which is the
expected- and a very differenet thing is that you can easily switch
bewteen the two, the powerful one and the discrete, at your conevience :-)

> Why would you stay away from Mac...

More than from a Mac (which I find it very well designed machines) I
would stay away from Apple (the company). I've never seen a company that
try to limit their users the way they do and enforce their senseless
policies (what you can do or don't with their devices), in that regard is
even worst than MS :-/

> and why did you mention compatibility? Everything should work with
> Debian because it is a PC.

Uff, if you think so... I think it's still not so easy to run something
different than MacOS (or windows) in their computers :-)

> They are just using the new EFI system, but what I understood is that
> EFI will be the standard in the near future.

U/EFI is now a standard but still not widely used. But EFI is not what it
scares me of Apple :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón