Re: autodiscover of a samba share

On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 21:56:19 +0200, tadziu wrote:

>> When using "smb://" you don't "mount" the shares, you "access" the
>> shares. And you can bookmark your network shares for an easy access,
>> they will appear listed in the left side panel.
>>
>> yes i know, i've also experimented with adding shares to fstab through
> cifs,
> and static ip number. and it was kinda successful but not exactly what i
> want.
>
> but that is not the point. probably misuderstanding comes from by bad
> english.
>
> i'll put it this way:
>
> by default, process of browsing samba shares requires:
>
> 1. opening networks

Well, that would depend. I have a shorcut in the desktop to the most used
shares ;-)

> 2. choosing workgroup if more than one
> 3. choosing computer if more than one
> 4. opening desired folder
>
> ofc you can make shortcuts to make thing easy.

Yup.

> problem with such method:
>
> 1. refreshing shares after reboot of 'server' machine

Why? :-?

> 2. repetition of mentioned process every time new computer connects to
network

Hum... I don't know why that should be needed at all. I don't "refresh"
any share, btw. If the server is "online" and available, the client can
connect and that's all. The shorcut is just a static pointer to the
share, it knows nothing about if it accessible or not.

> and now my caprice:
>
> 1. every time i connect to a network (at friend's house or in my house
> with occasional other's people computers) i can see listed all shared
> folders in the left panel of nautilus without former creating shortcuts.

That would be a very intensive task and should be at least disable by
deafult, which is the way it is now :-)

> 2. the list refreshes every time new machine connects or disconnects

Press "F5"? :-P

> 3. ability to work with dynamic ip's not just static as with cifs (i
> can be wrong just individual experience)

That's irrelevant for the client side point of view, you only need to
reach the share by its name if you already know the computer's name or
your system is able to run the query by means of a DNS server or Avahi.

> just as it works in macos leopard, and does not on any linux distro i've
> used.

I find it a quite similar approach.

Anyway, I would not like to open Nautilus and having all of the shares
available and visible on the lateral bar, that would be very annoying,
just imagine a network of a big company with thounsand of networked
devices... wow!

> it's just important for me because as a hobbyst musician i work with
> large files
> which i transfer between different people and machines on diverse
> networks, and copying those files with portable hdd is just onerous.
>
> i hope i made things clear

Yes, but I don't see many key differences between the two processes, just
one or two additional clicks :-?

> ps, sorry for the mixup with notion of mounting, but any time i open
> public shared folder cairo dock notifies me that a particular folder was
> mounted.

Don't trust what GUI based apps say, open a terminal and run "mount", if
the share is not listed there then it is not "mounted" :-)

> on the other hand those folders can be unmounted in nautilus left panel
> with
>
> a single click just as it's done with memory sticks. i don't get it...

Yes, but they are not the usual "mount points", just a kind of shorcuts.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón