Re: Wiping hard drives

I used an external USB/eSATA case hooked up via eSATA and then bootet
GRML. The BIOS did not protect the external drive and I was able to
transfer the ATA Secure Command via eSATA. I bet it might not work via USB
tough.

Booted from ubuntu live USB, checked if the internal disk was frozen, yes. Suspended the system and back on again, not frozen. This hack was mentioned in http://ata.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/ATA_Secure_Erase

Tough my SSD also reports SECURITY ERASE UNIT, does your HDD have that
too?

merkaba:~> hdparm -I /dev/sda | grep -i erase
               supported: enhanced erase
       2min for SECURITY ERASE UNIT. 2min for ENHANCED SECURITY ERASE
UNIT.

yes. what exactly does Security erase unit mean?

 supported
        not     enabled
        not     locked
        not     frozen
        not     expired: security count
                supported: enhanced erase
        132min for SECURITY ERASE UNIT. 132min for ENHANCED SECURITY ERASE UNIT.

--
Kind regards,
Yudi