Re: Wiping hard drives

On Sep 14, 2011 8:51 AM, "Robert Parker" <rlp1938@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 7:39 PM, shawn wilson <ag4ve.us@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Sep 14, 2011 8:33 AM, "Eduardo M KALINOWSKI" <eduardo@kalinowski.com.br>
> > wrote:

> >> I'd say that if you drill the memory chips in the SSD it is destroyed
> >> beyond recovery.
> >>

> > I would think that is obvious. However the task has gone from taking less
> > than a minute to taking >10.
> >
> > Have you ever tried to drill through a chip? And you're recommending doing
> > it dozens of different times? Really?
>
> What's wrong with dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX for SSDs?

Well, I remember hearing that data is recoverable to some degree unless the media is destroyed. Is there no trace of a bit being stored after it is 0'd out on an ssd?

The other thing is ease of use. I'm not going to tell my grandmother 'type dd of......' no, not happening. But, 'go get the drill and you should notice a circle outlay; you want to drill through the disc a third off center of that circle' - that, she can manage just fine.