Re: Worst Admin Mistake? was --> Re: /usr broken, will the machine reboot ?

Am Mittwoch, 14. September 2011 schrieb Mihamina Rakotomandimby:
> On 09/14/2011 01:15 AM, Bryan Irvine wrote:
> > Which brings me to another fun question.  What's your worst
> > administration mistake and how did you recover?
>
> On ext4 resizing
>
> - I did not put a swap partition on my laptop, just / and /home
> - I decided to shrink /home to put a swap at the end
> - fdisk
> -- del & new smaller partition for /home, with same beginning
> -- new partition at the end for swap (label 82)
> - reboot
> - fsck failed, resize2fs failed, all failed
> - I forgot to backup during the week end
> - I lost important documents...
>
> There is a need of absolute "ext4 resizing tutorial"... :-P

Most important rule is the ordering:

1) On enlarging first enlarge the volume / partition, then grow the
filesystem

2) On shrinking do it the *other* way around when you are interested in
your data. So first shrink your filesystem and then shrink the volume /
partition, but not below the new size of the filesystem.

But I guess you know that by now ;)