Re: debian 6 mp3 not sounding

On 13/09/2011 16:21, Camaleón wrote:
On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 16:09:33 +0200, Johan Scheepers wrote:

After installation of debian 6 I tried to play an mp3 file.
Do other sound files work or just mp3 fails?

The indicator show it is playing but no sound. I checked both speaker
settings and they are flat out.
Thats on movie player, rhymthbox and now even have vlc.

Did some googling and installed some files. Still same.
It's strange, because when you experience a codec issue the file cannot
be played, you get a message like "not found any suitable codec" or
something similar which makes my wonder if you have a global problem with
your sound system and not just with mp3 files :-?

Greetings,

I only have files ending in ***.mp3        ***.ogg

Booted to ubuntu 11.10 and it plays immediately.

Seem to be no coomunication between debian software and  pc hardware    .

Any suggestions please
Thanks
Johan S