tor and debian

Hello list,

I am a little bit confused, how to correctly configure tor in debian. Maybe you
can make something more clear.

This is my environment: I have installed

tor
tor-geoip
tor-data
privoxy
polipo
vidalia

1. Vidalia is starting the tor daemon = ok
2. privoxy is configured as in the doc been told and running = ok
3. polipo is configured and running
4. the browser (konqueror) is pointing to 127.0.0.1:8123

Due to http://check.torproject.org it is all correctly configured.

But now my questions:

1. Is polipo a successor for the tor daemon?

2. Do I need polipo AND privoxy AND tor? Or what is the required combination?
I understood, that polipo and privoxy are both proxies, whilst polipo is
listening to port 8123, and privoxy is listening to port 8118. Are they both
forwarding to tor at port 9050? Or 9051?

3. Which is the optimal combination of packages and configuration when I want
to use tor?

I will be pleased, when someone can tell me the difference
(advantages/disadvantages) among privoxy, polipo and tor.

Thank you very much.

Hans