Re: debian 6 usb 3 ready ???

On Mon, 12 Sep 2011 09:25:54 +0200, Johan Scheepers wrote:

> Tried to install Debian 6 on usb drive via USB 3 port. Could not see the
> drive so tried on USB 2 port, went ok.

Logs and bug report number? These things need to be properly reported >;-)

> After installation it worked on USB 3 but when connected an other usb
> drive in the 2nd usb3 port debian froze while the drive was loading.
>
> Froze so bad that I had to disconnect the internal batt. The swith off
> had no affect.
>
> This now happened twice.

If you still did not done it, I'd report it. USB 3 support has been in
mainline kernel for some time ago (IIRC, since 2.6.31 when it was first
added xHCI).

> Should I rather run debian via usb2 ports. My laptop have 2xusb2 and
> 2xusb3 ports. Debian has a nice gnome desktop and it connects without
> hassels to my huawei modem.
> Hope that debian won't change to some rather difficult desktop After
> some use I want to move debian to my internal drive. That is were ubuntu
> now resides.
>
> Running ubuntu 11.04 without any trouble but the way the gnome/unity is
> going I am looking for the gnome desktop as it is at this moment.

Mmm... Ubuntu 11.04 ships a newer kernel (2.6.38 vs. 2.6.32) so maybe you
could try to load a higher kernel in your Debian to check for any
improvement in USB 3 support :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón