Re: OT - Frequency of unsolicited emails

MR ZenWiz wrote:
> I've noticed since joining this list a number of weeks back that it is
> the only technical/OS discussion list to which I subscribe that
> frequently, as in one or more daily, ends up with emails in my spam
> list.

The Debian mailing lists are open mailing lists.  You do not need to
be subscribed to post messages.  Many people reading the mailing list
are not subscribed.  Many read web archives such as Gmane and then
post messages and follows without being subscribed.  Being open is
much harder to filter messages.

> Are we somehow more susceptible or less secure from spam than other
> lists, like Ubuntu users, CentOS users, GNOME users, etc. and if so,
> can't something be done about it?

Do those other mailing lists require posters to be subscribed in order
to post messages?

> It's a minor annoyance, but really, on an OS discussion list?

I am one of the listhelpers for the GNU mailing lists and the problem
is a lot harder than most people think.

It would certainly be a lot easier if all messages were
cryptographically signed to identify all users and preventing all
anonymous postings.  But being closed isn't the way the Internet
developed.

Bob