Re: Hard drive bad sector warning

On 11/09/11 14:09, yudi v wrote:
d-i uses parted (partman).
<snipped>
    NOTE: neither fdisk or parted is the cause of your original problem...

This is what I thought. I suspect it's got something to do with the
kernel. I am just using the default Sqeeze kernel 2.6.32-5-686.

I'm unable to advice as I don't currently have access to a non-512B drive :-(

<snipped>

    NOTE: most Debian kernels do support the larger sectors, but you can
    check with:-
    cat /sys/block/<drive_eg_sda>/__queue/physical_block_size

Here's the output

/sys/block$ cat sda/queue/physical_block_size
4096
/sys/block$ cat dm-0/queue//physical_block_size
4096
/sys/block$ cat dm-1/queue//physical_block_size
4096
/sys/block$ cat dm-2/queue//physical_block_size
4096
$:/sys/block$ cat dm-3/queue//physical_block_size
4096
/sys/block$ cat dm-4/queue//physical_block_size
4096

So - doesn't appear to be a problem there ^

/sys/block$ cat sr1/queue//physical_block_size
2048
/sys/block$ cat sr0/queue//physical_block_size
512

??

<snipped>

If I wipe this disk, I will definitely use GPT.  I also have win 7 on
the disk, wiki says 64bit win7 can be booted from GPT disk.

<snipped>

What baffles me is when I run the WD data lifeguard tool from windows 7
partition, it comes back saying the following:

Test Option: QUICK TEST
Model Number: WDC WD7500BPKT-60PK4T0
Unit Serial Number: WD-WX31E1177192
Firmware Number: 01.01A01
Capacity: 750.16 GB
SMART Status: PASS
Test Result: FAIL
Test Error Code: 06-Quick Test on drive 1 did not complete! Status code
= 07 (Failed read test element), Failure Checkpoint = 97 (Unknown Test)
SMART self-test did not complete on drive 1!
Test Time: 02:52:40, September 11, 2011

Test Option: EXTENDED TEST
Model Number: WDC WD7500BPKT-60PK4T0
Unit Serial Number: WD-WX31E1177192
Firmware Number: 01.01A01
Capacity: 750.16 GB
SMART Status: PASS
Test Result: FAIL
Test Error Code: 08-
Test Time: 13:23:34, September 11, 2011

Last time it did the same and after wiping the drive, it passed without
any issue. I believe this is what is going to happen again. Also, if
it's reporting bad sectors from Windows7, I don't think it's a Linux
specific issue. Correct me if I am wrong.
--
Kind regards,
Yudi

Looks like a hardware problem - I'd try another cable.

Cheers

--
"It's really weird how your life changes. Tonight I'm drinking water. Four years ago? Opium. Night and day, you know?"
— Bill Hicks