Re: Samba or NFS--tangent

On Lu, 06 iun 11, 01:02:18, William Hopkins wrote:
> On 06/05/11 at 03:59pm, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> > On Sb, 04 iun 11, 22:56:19, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > >
> > > (I'd suggest that you give static IP addresses to your desktop
> > > machines and use the /etc/hosts file -- yes, even Windows has one --
> > > to give your machines permanent symbolic names.  Makes things easier
> > > that way.)
> >
> > If you're lucky the wireless router supports this (out-of-the box or
> > with an upgrade to DD-WRT) ;)
>
> This makes no sense to me. Using static IPs doesn't involve your
> router. Use them or not, it won't care (or know).

If your "router" supports assigning a specific IP per MAC and, possibly
even DNS names, then you have all your configuration centralised ;)

Ok, for accessing other computers on the lan by name I now use mDNS, and
even if my VDSL modem lost the ability to assign specific IPs, at least
it uses the same IP for the same MAC, so it is possible to configure the
port forwarding.

Even if it works, I still don't like to rely on all that fully automatic
configuration, so I'm looking forward to buying a new wireless router
(with Gigabit and wireless N, I already have a "classic" one) that
supports DD-WRT (or similar).

Regards,
Andrei