Re: Re (4): Capability of Iceweasel to open a local file.

On Mon, 06 Jun 2011 13:12:46 -0800, peasthope wrote:

> From:	Camaleon <noelamac@gmail.com>
> Date:	Mon, 06 Jun 2011 19:34:24 +0000 (UTC)
>> Can you give a concrete example of your goal?
>
> In your home directory, make a file named Category2.html containing any
> valid html text.  The example you gave in your earlier reply will be
> fine.
>
> Open "http://members.shaw.ca/peasthope/#Links"; and you will see three
> links containing "file:*Category2".  Probably the third non-blank line.
> Can you open the second link, file:///~/Category2.html ?  It won't open
> here. But it works if copied to the clipboard and pasted into the URI
> window. Copying and pasting should not be necessary.  It should open
> with a mouse click!

No, it shouldn't :-)

Okay, I now see what you are trying to go but as I told you earlier, it
poses a security risk to go from remote (from your Internet hosted site)
to local (to your home dir). You can do that from local (from your local
hosted site) to local (to a local file).

>> That is, what piece of code is working on that Native Oberon but fails
>> inside Iceweasel?
>
> The link file:Category2.html works for NO.  With NO not having a
> hierarchical file system it can not open file:///~/Category2.html but
> opens file:Category2.html, no problem.  Analogously,
> file:///~/Category2.html should work for Iceweasel.
>
> OK; I'm more convinced there's a fault in Iceweasel!

Not a fault but a security measure. I think it can be tweaked (from
"about:config"), but not sure at how level.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Links_to_local_pages_do_not_work

Greetings,

--
Camaleón