PS/2 mouse vs USB mouse

Hi :)

when using a PS/2 mouse with stable or testing the mouse wheel very
seldom does work, usually it doesn't. For Ubuntu Maverick and Natty it's
the same.

I replaced the mouse with an USB mouse and the mouse wheel seems to work
all the time, tested with Debian testing only. I didn't reboot very
often, just one or two times, but for the PS/2 mouse it never happened,
that randomly the mouse wheel did work for two consecutive sessions.

I guess Debian and Ubuntu only have issues with PS/2 mice.
Is there a way to fix this? I tried to get a USB mouse that really could
replace my PS/2 mouse, but all modern mice seems to be made to get
typist's cramps. So I'll get rid of my new USB mouse if possible and use
my old PS/2 mouth again.

Cheesr!

Ralf

PS: While for Ubuntu Maverick the Internet is still very fast by my
PPPoE connection, for Ubuntu Natty, Debian stable and testing it is in
hardcore slow motion, sometimes I get timeouts.
Older Ubuntu and Debian installs were ok for the Mouse and Internet. I
only kept old Suse 11.2 and there still everything is ok (regarding to
performance Suse always was less good than Debian, but now even Suse is
better). Not to mention the issues with X and monitors. Does Debian drop
valid hardware, that isn't brand new?