Re: Re: Problems installing grub/lilo with RAID1 on /

>Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> writes:
>> On Sun, Jun 5, 2011 at 3:30 PM, Felix Natter
>> <felix.natter@smail.inf.fh-brs.de> wrote:
>>>
>>> When trying to install lilo (with the debian-installler), I get
>>> "inconsistent raid information" (but the RAID1 (2x 208G) was created
>>> with debian-installer):
>>>
>>> Jun 5 19:22:00 in-target: Running lilo...
>>> Jun 5 19:22:01 in-target: Fatal:
>>> Jun 5 19:22:01 in-target: Inconsistent Raid version information on /dev/md0  (RV=0.90 GAI=1.2)
>>
>> What do RV and GAI mean? I've googled both and not foudn anything to
>> help. "0.90" and "1.2" are mdraid metadata versions. Were these disks
>> previously in another array and do you now have two types of metada on
>> them?

> No, I did not change any hardware config before reinstalling with
> squeeze. I also had a RAID1 root fs with those two disks before.

There may be more to your problem than this but you definitely have a metadata problem.

Some more googing yielded RV and GAI as "raid version" and "get array info" so your previous mdraid metadata must've been v0.90 and you're new metadata's the Squeeze d-i default, v1.2.

Since they're written to different parts of the HD, they can co-exist and must be confusing grub and lilo.

I only know how to remove all metadata (with "--zero-superblock") so I have no idea how to fix your problem short of backing up your install, recreating your array, and restoring the install... Sorry.