Re: Debian Questions on apt-get

On Monday 06 June 2011 20:39:40 Matt wrote:
> I gather in the apt-get world the equivalent is:
>
> apt-get update
> apt-get upgrade

Yes - but certainly in aptitude (I am more familiar with aptitude than with
apt) it is now recommended to use either aptitude safe-upgrade or aptitude
full-upgrade depending on which you want.  If I have understood yum correctly
(and, indeed, I may not have!) aptitude update && aptitude full-upgrade more
closely resembles yum update than aptitude update && aptitude safe-upgrade.

I think that there is a different mind-set needed for yum and apt.  Once one's
brain is tuned to one it requires a certain amount of mental agility to
switch!

In my few attempts so far to use yum, my mental agility has been lacking and I
have returned to the familiar with a sigh of relief!

Lisi