Re: Debian Questions on apt-get

On Monday 06 June 2011 19:27:24 William Hopkins wrote:
> On 06/06/11 at 06:52pm, Lisi wrote:
> > On Monday 06 June 2011 17:03:36 Matt wrote:
> > > I have worked with Centos quite a bit in past though no expert.
> > > Giving Debian a whirl now.
> >
> > Having made a desultary attempt in teh other direction, I feel your pain.
> > :-(
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> > > In Centos when I want to update or add a package I do this:
> > >
> > > yum update
> >
> > There is an important and fundamental difference between yum update and
> > apt-get update.  Yum update, as you say, applies patches.  Apt-get update
> > just updates the database of packages on your computer.  (I think that
> > yum simply doesn't do this at all.)  The equivalent of yum update is
> > apt-get full-upgrade - but you must run apt-get update first, or you
> > won't get anything new.  That will apply patches.
>
> Incorrect, yum installs full packages and is indeed quite similar to apt.
> I'm also not familiar with the command `apt-get full-upgrade`.

It is you who are incorrect, I'm afraid.  I used the term "patches" for yum
because that is what the OP had said.  I have no desire to correct him on yum
since he so obviously knows so much more about it than I do.  But the fact
remains that yum update installs things and apt-get update simply updates the
database.  This caused me considerable confusion.  I suggest that you check
this before telling me that I am incorrect in believing it.

The fact that you are unfamiliar with apt-get update is not strictly relevant
here, though if someone who is familiar with it wishes to correct me, I shall
be happy to listen.  I use aptitude not apt and there are some differences.
This may be one such.

Lisi