Re: linux-boot-prober and grub on other OS

On Mon, 2011-06-06 at 11:10 +0000, Simon Pepping wrote:
> I have a debian and a ubuntu system in two different partitions on the same
> disk. grub-pc on the debian system provides the boot-loader.
>
> When I have grub-pc installed on the ubuntu system, updates of that package
> overwrite debian's grub on the MBR.
>
> When I uninstall grub-pc from ubuntu, update-grub on the debian system is no
> longer able to generate good lines for ubuntu in grub.cfg.
>
> How can I get good lines for ubuntu in debian's grub.cfg, and not overwrite the
> MBR with ubuntu's grub when ubuntu's grub-pc package is updated?
>
> Simon

I know that I stand alone with this opinion, but I edit grub.cfg
manually, instead of wasting hours, days, month with learning how to set
up several files, that then anyway won't set up grub.cfg 100% the way I
wish to have it. Btw. the command 'submenu' works with Ubuntu, but not
Debian, for GRUB2 there seems to be several setups, or plugins or ...?!

GRUB2 isn't a good boot loader, I guess we should switch back to GRUB1.
I wonder if anybody wish to see splash screens an such stuff, but
doesn't need a good menu list.