Re: Samba or NFS--tangent

On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 1:02 AM, William Hopkins <we.hopkins@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 06/05/11 at 03:59pm, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
>> On Sb, 04 iun 11, 22:56:19, Ron Johnson wrote:
>> >
>> > (I'd suggest that you give static IP addresses to your desktop
>> > machines and use the /etc/hosts file -- yes, even Windows has one --
>> > to give your machines permanent symbolic names.  Makes things easier
>> > that way.)
>>
>> If you're lucky the wireless router supports this (out-of-the box or
>> with an upgrade to DD-WRT) ;)
>
> This makes no sense to me. Using static IPs doesn't involve your router. Use them or not, it won't care (or know).

Most wireless and wired "routers" for home use include DHCP servers to
support NAT behind them, and have for many years. Those support DHCP
reservations. And the static addresses have to be behind the NAT, or
served by the gateway directly. So yes, it cares that you use any IP
addresses and whether they're correctly assigned to "non-routable"
address ranges and LAN's and with the correct gateway to tallk to the
"router".