Re: New Squeeze install fails to boot (not even to grub)

On Sat, 04 Jun 2011 16:33:35 -0700, Johnathan Ritzi wrote:

> Problem solved (I think). After digging some more, I realized that after
> the install the only partition marked bootable was /dev/sda6 (Linux
> root).

As you installed GRUB into the MBR, that makes sense.

> I used fdisk to make /dev/sda2 also bootable

"Also"? :-?

AFAIK, there can only be one partition marked with the bootable flag -one
partition per hard disk- so did you removed the bootable flag from "/dev/
sda6" and put it on "/dev/sda2"?

As root, run "fdisk -l" so we can see what's your current disk layout.

> (the main Windows partition) and grub (and everything else) came up
> fine. I believe the original set up was using Debian installer
> defaults. Is this something I should report against the installer
> somehow?

I think the installer did the right thing, maybe your BIOS just had some
sort of problem/incompatibility for booting from the linux extended
partition.

Hum, just out of curisosity... fave you tried to boot windows from GRUB?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón