Spin Off Question (was: What kernel for AMD Sempron system?)

Ron Johnson Said:

The M2V has an AM2 socket, and all such chips are 64-bit capable, so
both 2.6.39-1-686-pae and 2.6.39-1-amd64 *should* work.

(I think you'd get a different error if the kernel was incompatible with
the CPU.)

----

The first thing I noticed about these two Kernels was the one is an amd64, the second is a i686-PAE which means it's a 32 bit with larger than 4GB Memory Support.

My spin off question is this, can a user install a 32bit system (i686) and then choose to move to a 64bit system and perform a rolling update as such?

I know that fundamentally, a 64 bit system consist of a 64bit Kernel and the core libraries (libc, gcc, etc.) Are 64bit, I am to understand that 32bit libs are present for backwards compatibility, but I'm not sure if those libraries are different from the ones in a 32bit only system.

So my question boils down to if you can rolling update from 32bit to a 64bit system? If so what all would be involved? And does it boil down to being possible, but so intense as to negate the purpose, e.g. Just plain easier/better to wipe and start fresh.

TeddyB