Re: Backup script

On Wed, Jun 01, 2011 at 08:29:23PM -0400, mark wrote:
> On Wednesday 01 June 2011 10:23:48 am Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> > Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > > Hi :)
> > >
> > > I'm writing a script to backup the 4 Linux installs and the MBRs
> > > on my machine.
> > >
> > > Is there a way to copy all 4 Linux by running one of those
> > > installs?
> > >
> > > With a lack of knowledge I would backup the 3 Linux that aren't
> > > running, by the running Linux and than boot another Linux
> > > install, to backup the previously running Linux.
> >
> > http://www.mondorescue.org/
>
> +1, many times mondorescue has saved me.

I love BackupPC.  It gives you the choice of rsync, tar, smb, (maybe
others).  It pools common files, so if you have the same file on all 4
Linux installs, it only needs to save one copy.  It has a handy web
interface that lets you do all the configuration and restores.

It handles network outages better than a simple cron job would.  For
instance, if the network is down during your daily cron backup, you
don't get a backup until the next day.  With BackupPC, it'll check every
hour.  It also supports blackout periods (times when you don't want
backups to occur).

It's really great software and it's in the Debian repositories.

-Rob