Re: What kernel for AMD Sempron system?

On 06/03/2011 07:11 AM, Thomas Milne wrote:
Hello all,

I just assembled a system with an M2V motherboard and Sempron processor,
with Nvidia graphics card. I installed Debian Squeeze, then upgraded to
unstable. Installed nvidia-glx, nvidia dkms, a new kernel and headers.

The kernel that was installed with Squeeze was 2.6.32-5-686 which worked
fine, but for Unstable the kernel is 2.6.39-1. The thing is, I can't
figure out which one to run, because I see 2.6.39-1-amd64 and
2.6.39-1-686-pae, but neither of them work. When I try to boot from
either I get a 'stack trace'.

I thought this might have something to do with the warning I got about
missing firmware in the new kernel, so I followed the advice and
installed firmware-debian, but that has not helped. Is there another
step I am missing?

Any help much appreciated.

Is the 2.6.32-5-686 kernel still in the grub boot list? If so, You could boot from that.

The M2V has an AM2 socket, and all such chips are 64-bit capable, so both 2.6.39-1-686-pae and 2.6.39-1-amd64 *should* work.

(I think you'd get a different error if the kernel was incompatible with the CPU.)

corrupt."