Re: Avoid POP3

On Thu, 02 Jun 2011 14:21:47 -0400, Celejar wrote:

> On Wed, 18 May 2011 18:27:29 +0000 (UTC) Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com>
> wrote:

>> Next time you need to configure a POP3 account tell me if you leave
>> enable the "keep a copy in the server" setting. It's not the default,
>> it never has been in any MUA, or not in any I'm aware of. I don't think
>> how is that so hard to understand.
>
> Getmail defaults to not deleting messages that it has retrieved via any
> protocol, including POP. From its documentation:
>
> "delete (boolean) — if set, getmail will delete messages after
> retrieving and successfully delivering them. If unset, getmail will
> leave messages on the server after retrieving them. Default: False."
>
> Admittedly, it's an MDA rather than an MUA.

In addition of being an MDA it's also an exception ;-)

And admittely, in such programs (like Getmail or Fetchmail) it is very
useful to have the "keep" option while configuring the application so you
don't delete e-mails unless you are sure they're well routed locally and
messages reach their inboxes.

>> Of course, there are also fetchmail and getmail for that task and you
>> can instruct both applications to keep a copy in the server.
>
> No need to instruct getmail to do so, it's the default, as above. I have
> to manually invoke it with the '-d' flag, or use the 'delete' keyword in
> the config files, to get deletion.

As I said before, it's understandable that the default setting is "keep"
in such programs to avoid missing e-mails while testing.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón