Re: Keeping stable stable.

On Jun 2, 2011 2:19 PM, "William Hopkins" <we.hopkins@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 06/02/11 at 02:08pm, Tom Furie wrote:

> > > Oddly ?
> >
> > It's another of the strange idioms of the English language. That usage
> > of "oddly enough" actually means something more like "and it should be
> > blatantly obvious why that is the case". Without the "enough" tagged on
> > it would really mean "oddly".
>
> Not to get into language lessons, but although it is frequently (mis-)used this way, oddly enough really does mean the same thing as oddly. It is just very rarely used without sarcasm or irony.

Or by people who can't write or aren't paying attention. It's called unnecessary words. One of the best things a proof reader can do is recommend the deletion of things like that. IMHO

Though, I'm not writing anything professional here and am guessing the poster wasn't either so I'll chalk it up to not paying attention.