Re: Keeping stable stable.

On Thu, Jun 02, 2011 at 12:07:40AM +0100, R. Clayton wrote:
> I'm running squeeze on a system, and I'd like to keep the system on the stable
> release independent of what the release is called.  I changed all non-commented
> appearances of "squeeze" with "stable" in sources.list; do I need to do
> anything else?  Is this the right approach to take for a perpetually stable
> system?

One of the advantages of sticking with the named release in your sources.list is that when the next release becomes stable you can still install/update/etc. your "old" system until such time as you are ready to sit down and do the dist-upgrade to the new stable in a planned manner. It's important to plan your major updates and make sure you have time to fix any unexpected issues which may arise before hitting the return key on 'apt-get dist-upgrade', even on your own [non-production] machines to avoid headaches and panicking when things do not go as intended.

Laurence