Re: Until now Debian seems to be the right decision :), better performance than Ubuntu

2011/5/31 Steven Rosenberg <stevenhrosenberg@gmail.com>
On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 10:14 AM, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
Hi all :)

until now switching to Debian is worth the effort. The
GNOME2 performance of Debian stable is much better than of Ubuntu.

Pulse Audio is not installed by default :).

What repositories should I use to set up a stable DAW? Btw. my list is
attached.
Is there a repository including JACK2 from svn?

You should have everything you need to set up a stable DAW (I am assuming you are using debian testing or unstable), probably only a realtime kernel is needed.
Have a look at  http://www.pengutronix.de/software/linux-rt/debian_en.html if you don't want to build your own RT PREEMPT kernel.
Be sure you are able to run audio apps with the right privileges, eg. add your user to the "audio" group in /etc/groups and check out /etc/security/limits.conf for these lines
@audio          -       rtprio          100
@audio          -       nice            -10

If you want to build ardour3 you need to install libjack0.120 which is now in testing and so is jackd2 so there's no need for svn stuffs.

regards
-r

--
L'unica speranza di catarsi, ammesso che ne esista una, resta affidata all'istinto di ribellione, alla rivolta non isterilita in progetti, alla protesta violenta e viscerale.