Re: question about bind9 from a clueless paranoid

On Wed 06 Apr 2011 at 12:20:42 -0600, Paul E Condon wrote:

> To do this usefully, I have to first figure out how to configure my newly
> installed instance of BIND9. Correct? I don't think I'm there yet...

If all you want to do is have named do lookups and cache the replies it
works without changing the installed configuration, Forwarders can be
designated in /etc/bind/named.conf.options.

> This contains information that's new to me. You seem to be saying
> that my copy of BIND on my computer is building its own internal
> cache. I don't see any reason why it couldn't contain a cache, but I
> haven't read anywhere that it actually *does* have a cache
> internally. Does it contain a cache?

The README.Debian mentions it. The cache kept in memory for a certain
length of time. Run, for example, 'dig debian.net' twice and look at the
Query Time. The second value should be close to 0 ms.