Re: Installing Squeeze: Cannot choose time zone (two issues)

On Wed, 06 Apr 2011 09:39:40 -0500, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

> Camaleón wrote:
>> On Tue, 05 Apr 2011 13:16:19 +0300, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>>
>>> Issue One:
>>> I prefer to install Linux distros in English then configure each user
>>> for his own language. While installing Squeeze I do not have the
>>> choice of a time zone for Israel, only US time zones. The installer
>>> mentions that to display other time zones I must change language. This
>>> is absurd.
>>>
>>> Issue Two:
>>> When I go back and choose the Hebrew language, I _still_ do not get an
>>> option for an Israeli time zone. The time zones available have
>>> switched from seven or eight US time zones to (translated from Hebrew)
>>> "US", "Mexico", "Saint Peter and Miklon", and "Canada".
>>
>> Both issues are weird :-?
>>
>> You might find useful these two posts:
>>
>> Changes for Squeeze in Debian Installer
>> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2010/01/msg00002.html
>>
>> timezone in squeeze installer
>> http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2010/05/msg00001.html
>>

> What appears impossible(?) is to select 'english us' and then a timezone
> in Mexico. Or any combination of such. Once you select the former you
> are stuck with the latter.

It's months since I've installed squeeze so I can't say for sure. Does
this happen with the expert installer? :-?

Binding a timezone to a location seems quite logic, but binding -
enforcing- a locale to specific timezone (or viceversa) seems to be
completely wrong, IMO. If it's reproducible with the latest installer I
think it's worth reporting.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón