Re: Graphics - Radeon HD 5000 lock-ups

On Sat, 02 Apr 2011 14:31:11 +0200, C. Hurschler wrote:

> On Friday 01 April 2011, Camaleón wrote:

>> > I don't think compositing worked either, but I can't remember for
>> > sure.
>>
>> It should work, "radeon" is one of the most advanced open drivers for
>> this task (3D accleration/openGL) :-)
>
> it doesn't.  I'll post the log files and a better description as soon as
> I have the time.

Good.

Any problem with the radeon driver can be filled and addressed in Debian
BTS (Bug Tracking System). Closed source driver is another story...

>> You can always get the updated closed source driver directly from AMD
>> site. You will have to recompile by yourself if the kernel gets
>> updated, though.
>
> I use Debian Stable because I don't want to waste my time compiling
> stuff.

When it comes to VGA drivers you can encounter yourself in a situation in
that only the latest closed sources drivers work, so you are "forced" to
compile ;-(

> That worked well in Lenny with debian-multimedia and
> lenny-backports.  Squeeze is IMHO nowhere near as close to being a
> production desktop system as Lenny was, but my impression might be
> biased by the problems I am having with my Radeon card...

With any new release you are:

1/ Changing the kernel (to another newer one)
2/ Changing xorg stack (to an updated one)

And any of these can make you face problems with your VGA.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón