Re: accessing shared printed from virtualbox client

On 2011-04-02, Steve Kleene <skdeb@syrano.acb.uc.edu> wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Apr 2011 20:52:13 +0000 (UTC), Liam O'Toole replied:
>
>> Instead tell it
>> to connect to the virtual private address 10.0.2.0 or similar; see the
>> output of the route command on the guest to determine the precise
>> gateway address.
>
> Route didn't give me such an address, but ipconfig /all gave me these:
>
> IP Address 10.0.2.15
> gateway 10.0.2.2

Ah, that looks more familiar!

> I tried this sort of thing as a URL for the network printer:
>
>   http://10.0.2.2:631/printers/LaserJet_5MP
>
> but still no luck.

We're getting there.

Is the the CUPS daemon listening on the external network interface of
the host OS as well as localhost? Is it configured to accept connections
from other than localhost? The log files under /var/log/cups on the host
OS will contain information on any refused connections.

(I don't have a Windows XP guest to hand, but I have just set up a RHEL
guest to use the host's CUPS system. It can be done.)

--
Liam O'Toole
Cork, Ireland