Re: cannot go back from nouveau to nv

On 2011-04-02 10:24 +0200, Fumiaki Okushi wrote:

> On 04/02/2011 12:43 AM, Sven Joachim wrote:
>> On 2011-04-02 08:49 +0200, Fumiaki Okushi wrote:
>>
>>> I'm running Debian Squeeze amd64.
>>> I'm trying to go back to using nv after trying to get nouveau working
>>> and failed.
>>
>> I'm sorry that nouveau did not work for you.  Could you please elaborate
>> what the problem was?
>
> Thank you for your response.
>
> To be honest with you, I don't know what the problem was.
> First, my monitor refused saying that it's out of range.
> The dmesg showed that it inferred the screen size to be 1024x768,
> so I booted with video=1920x1080 (native monitor size).

I would suspect that the monitor is broken and provides no or invalid
EDID.  The kernel then uses 1024x768 as fallback, since this resolution
is usually safe.

> The dmesg output reflected the change but the monitor continued to say out of range.

It might help to specify the refresh rate as well.  See
http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/KernelModeSetting for all the
arguments that you can supply with the video=… parameter.

Sven