Re: cannot go back from nouveau to nv

On 04/02/2011 12:34 AM, Kent West wrote:
On 4/2/11 1:49 AM, Fumiaki Okushi wrote:
I rebooted, but X won't work.
Near the end of Xorg.0.log has the following message:

(EE) NV: Kernel modesetting driver in use, refusing to load

Indeed, nouveau.ko and its dependent drivers (eg., drm_kms_heler.ko)
are still getting loaded.

What do I need to do to go back to using nv?

I'm not sure, but I think you'll need to blacklist the nouveau kernel
module (as opposed to the nouveau X driver). Add a line to the end of
/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist:

blacklist nouveau

and reboot. See if that works for you.

Thanks for your response.
Yes, that works and I have that change made.
However, shouldn't that not be required?
I mean, if I install a package, didn't like it, and decide to purge it,
shouldn't things go back to normal?
It seems to me that my trying to get nouveau working caused some
unknown changes to the system and purging the package didn't undo that change.

Thanks,
Fumi Okushi