Re: About to order motherboard Asus M4A78LT-M - any known issues?

On 31 March 2011 13:35, Klistvud <quotations@aliceadsl.fr> wrote:
Howdie, fellow Debianites!

I'm about to order a system with Asus M4A78LT-M (AM3/PCIE/S/R/V1G/H5200, with an AMD Phenom II X4 840, 3,20GHz) and was wondering whether any list member has any experience with this mobo in Debian Squeeze.

In particular:

1. I'm planning to run virtualized Windows XP on it and have seen reports such as http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/5639 about VirtualBox having problems with AMD SVM. Anybody care to confirm/rebut that? Does hardware virtualization work?

2. What's the support for the integrated ATI Radeon 3000 graphics in the stock Squeeze kernel? Can the free driver be used? Is 3D working?

Will be immensely grateful for any first-hand experience. This is important to me -- *cash* is involved ;P

TIA

As an aside I am leary of motherboards with 2 DIMM slots. If you want to go beyond 4Gb to 8Gb (2 x 4Gb DIMMS) (for virtualization and all that) the RAM is very pricey. I suppose 4Gb DIMMs are not very popular.

I would say bite the bullet and go for a board with 4 DIMM slots, upgrading RAM will be cheaper in the log term.

--
Cheerio,

Klistvud                             http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com
Certifiable Loonix User #481801      Please reply to the list, not to me.