Re: Please help

On Friday 04 March 2011 04:06:50 Ryan Collins wrote:
> Someone for the love of GOD, help me.
> I've installedDebian 6.0(squeeze) on my dell inspiron 6000. All I have to
> show for it is a shell. I've looked all over and read countless entries on
> ways to load a gnome desktop, but nothing I try works for me like it has
> others. Im brand spanking new to Linux, but im beginning to at least
> understand how things need to be typed in order to make the magic happen,
> but it hasn't happened for me yet. I think I may have installed a server
> version, but there is a way around that right? What can I do to get a
> desktop environment installed through my command line?

I have just (for the first time in years) installed a default install of
Squeeze.

It starts up in the command line.  No sign of X.  This deos not cause me a
problem, since I was doing it just to see what happened.  But I can see that
it would cause problems to newbies.  There is obviously a bug.

Choosing another desktop works.  Start the installation again, choose
advanced -> other desktops -> then take your pick.  LXDE certainly installs
correctly.  I haven't tried the other two.

Lisi