RE: new hard drive usb "WD My Passport essential SE" 1Tb

Without seeing your drive I'm guessing that you have been caught by
WDs "special program" that works for Windows but is a PITA for Linux.
Do some googling on the drive but I believe you will find you will
have to reformat it before use (there is an HP utility that does
this, called I believe HPUSB Disk or some such).
Larry