System Hangs on Activating Swap

Greetings fellow Debian'ers-

I've got a system (Lenny, kernel 2.6.26-2-486)that occasionally fails to boot fully. The last item noted on the console is 'Activating Swap', then nothing.

I've enabled bootlogd (/etc/default/bootlogd) and verbose mode (/etc/default/rcS) but nothing of importance is shown. I've even reinstalled Debian from scratch and the issue persists. I've tried different hard drives, no change.

Now, here comes the odd part. If I remove the swap entry from fstab, the system will still hang at times! If there is no swap being made available to the system, how can it still hang? Do the init scripts look for and use any partition with a swap partition type?

Also, is it possible the problem is soemthing else but it simply manifests itself as a hang at the 'activating swap' part of the boot process? I've extracted the Debian initrd and looked through the scripts there and in /etc/rcS* on the root partition. Nothing is jumping out at me for a possible cause.

How should I proceed to troubleshoot? Any ideas?

Thank you!

--Tim