Re: no audio in microphone-SOLVED-then broke

On 02/03/2011 04:06 PM, Paul Cartwright wrote:
I did NOT have gnome-alsamixer installed. My speaker has always worked, I listen to audio from internet radio all the time & watch videos & stuff. I just never had a need to setup the microphone. So I installed gnome-alsamixer & ran alsamixer from the terminal, tweaked the Captures, etc, and Skype WORKED. My voice sounded muffled & fuzzy, so I tried a different mic.. that seemed a bit better. I think it is just a matter of setting the levels right, not sure exactly which ones do what, but at least it is working. I wanted to setup Skype so I could see/talk to my grand daughter on my BIG monitor, not my wife's laptop..

wow, I have no idea what happened, but I lost my Intel audio card. alsaconf didn't work, all I had to pick from was a USB sound card, and it didn't play anything. I even turned OFF the computer & rebooted, still no sound.
SO, I:
purge alsa-utils alsa-base
aptitude install alsa-utils alsa-base

it then RAN alsaconfig, I selected my Intel audio card, and SOUND returned!
I kept trying to run alsaconf, and it said not found, yet when I reinstall alsa-base & alsa-utils alsaconf is there... I'm not sure I understand what happened.

--
Paul Cartwright