no audio in microphone

I am trying to setup skype. I got a nice new logitech C200 web cam & the video works now. But I've tried plugging 2 different microphones in, to the front & back panels of the desktop with no audio output. I hear the skype voice, but not mine..
lspci shows:
00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801BA/BAM AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 05)

I have also installed & when I bring up alsamixergui it has sliders for Master, PCM,Front, Surround, Center, LFE, Side, IEX958, IEC958 Default PCM, Capture, Capture1, Capture 2, Analog loop, Digital, Input source1, Input source2, Mux, Mux1, Mux2, and Swap center.

I also tried the sound recorder. It creates a 5Kb ogg file that is empty.

suggestions, hints??

It's a Dell desktop XPS 410

--
Paul Cartwright