Re: X freeze the system after upgrade

On Thu, 03 Feb 2011 16:47:43 +0000, T o n g wrote:

> On Thu, 03 Feb 2011 16:05:17 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>
>>> Yep, yep, disabling KMS works for me.
>>
>> (...)
>>
>> KMS should work "out-of-the-box" with ati cards.
>
> Apparently it doesn't work out-of-the-box for my old ati card.
>
> Also, quoting from
>
> Disabling Radeon KMS
> http://tomlowshang.blogspot.com/2010/04/disabling-radeon-kms.html
>
> "Kernel Mode Setting (KMS) for the ATI Radeon RV280 chip is not ready
> for primetime yet so i decided to disable KMS and revert to User Mode
> Setting (UMS) for now. KMS is the future but it is too immature on the
> Radeon hardware. . . "

But that statement is a bit generic and "unfair" :-)

KMS and your card may work perfectly with another distribution (or
another kernel or another xorg version or...). I mean, maybe you should
comment the concrete distribution your are running and also which kernel
and xorg version so your readers don't get a wrong impression of the
current status for the mentioned items.

P.S. Nice color selection for your blog! Very pleasant, clean and
readable.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón